.

.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A LAZY HOLIDAY? BY NO MEANS!




On Sunday the twenty-first of April, 2013, I boarded a British Airways flight from New York to London, and stepped out into hazy sunshine seven hours later.  I spent eleven perfect days in England, begun and ended at my mother’s house in Worcester.  And in between?  I walked the shores of Coniston Water and rode the Steam Yacht Gondola.  I visited Arthur Ransome’s grave (and that of his second wife) at Rusland.  I drank in his local pub.  I reunited with old clergy friends in Suffolk and preached at two services in delightful country churches; that Sunday ended with Chinese take-away and Canasta!  I visited Thomas Cranmer’s parish church only to discover that there is no mention of this 1530 fact in the parish rolls.  Then followed a host of other rural church visits, and nuggets of history were discovered in aisles, naves, chancels and sanctuaries.  All accompanied by countless photographs.

Where shall I begin?

Above image:  Sunrise at 36,000 feet over the Isle of Man.  22nd of April, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment